The USA and Israel have maintained a strong relationship through decades of world and Middle East upheaval in particular. Established in 1980, LIBI was formed to strengthen this bond by meeting the educational, religious, medical and recreational needs of Israeli soldiers using US tax free donations.
As Dr. John A.I. Grossman, LIBI USA Chairman says, “The relationship between the US and Israel is ever-lasting. We share the same values; freedom of rights and world security.”
Let’s take a short walk down memory lane and highlight some special aspects of the Israeli/American alliance.
1. The US is a political supporter of Israel, especially during anti-Israel votes in the UN. The establishment of a Jewish homeland in the Middle East provides the US with the only democratic country in this region.
2. Congress gives substantial funds to Israel in foreign aid. In return, seventy-four percent of these funds is spent by Israel to purchase US goods and services.
3. The US helps Israel absorb millions of immigrants from countries all over the world, including over one million Jews from the former Soviet Union. This assistance was one of the catalysts for the fall of communist Russia, helping to end the Cold War between the US and the Soviet Union.
4. America’s support of Israel helps the US have a military foothold in the Middle East. Joint air and sea military exercises regularly take place between the countries. The United States has six facilities in Israel where military equipment is stockpiled. Although intended for American forces in the Middle East, the equipment can be transferred to Israel for use if necessary. Israel, of course, is crucial in aiding America with their homeland security.
5. Israel has more companies listed on the NASDAQ than any other country outside of North America. US/Israeli cooperation has created a powerhouse of hi-tech companies which are changing the world.
Today, the close relationship between the United States and Israel continues. As said by Lyndon Johnson in 1964, “The United States and Israel share many common objectives…chief of which is the building of a better world in which every nation can develop its resources and develop them in freedom and peace.”
We can proudly say that decades later, this statement rings true.